But first why…
Epsom salts are perfect for detoxing your body. Using these salts in bathwater creates a process called reverse-osmosis. This process pulls salt and harmful toxins out of the body and allows the magnesium and sulphates to enter into the body.
Magnesium and sulphates are important minerals for the body – they are used for the creation of over 325 of the enzymes that make our body tick!
Now you know, so relax and take a bath!
Also the first 20 minutes are used removing toxins, and for the second 20 minutes, the body absorbs the minerals in the bath water. So draw yourself a nice warm bath…
Add in the Epsom salts in the following amounts
• Children under 60 lbs: Add 1/2 cup of salts to a standard size bath
• Individuals between 60-100 lbs: Add 1 cup of salts to a standard size bath
• Individuals between 100-150 lbs: Add 1 1/2 cup of salts to a standard size bath
• Individuals between 150-200 lbs: Add 2 cups of salts to a standard size bath
• For every 50lbs larger – add in an additional 1/2 cup of salts.
Additional strategies to apply with an Epsom salt bath
Adding in a 1/2 cup of olive oil is also very good for the skin. The polyphenols soak into the skin and give extra antioxidant benefits.
Adding ginger or cayenne can increase your heat levels, which will help you to sweat out toxins. You can add anywhere from 1 tbsp to 1/2 a cup to stimulate sweating, and these herbs are loaded with antioxidants that will enhance the detoxification process as well.
Try to avoid using soap with an Epsom salt bath, as it can interfere with the action of the minerals and the detoxification process.
You may see that the water has changed colour – don’t worry this is a good sign that you’ve drawn out lots of toxins!
Take it steady after your bath and you’ll soon start to feel refreshed and relaxed.