The perfect cool treat for the hottest day of the year!
These are quick to put together and just require a little bit of patience while it cools in the fridge.
What you will need:
- 1 cup of (organic) coconut milk
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- 1 date
- 1 cup of dairy free coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds (ground) or 1 tablespoon of flax meal
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Some favourite toppings:
- 1 handful of blueberries or raspberries
- 1 handful of mixed nuts (the more variety the better) and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 fig
- Sweeten the Coconut milk: simply blend the coconut milk with the date. This little touch of sweetness and flavour from the date makes a huge difference, believe me!
- Next combine the sweetened coconut milk in a large bowl with chia seeds, vanilla, flax-meal (or ground flax) and sesame seeds and mix well (no lumps allowed).
- Put the mixture into the fridge for 20-30 minutes to allow the chia to expand and chill nicely.
- Finally to serve, fill a small glass with a layer of dairy free coconut yogurt, followed by the chia mix, then a little extra layer of coconut yogurt.
- Now add your choice of toppings.
The three ones that I love are:
- Simply fruit – blueberries or raspberries (sometimes you need nothing more!)
- With mixed nuts and cinnamon
- With fig for a sweetener, this I find to be a more exotic flavour to complement the coconut!
Another way to change this up would be to mix 2 teaspoons of raw cacao powder in with the chia or with the coconut milk (when you blend in the dates) – this makes it a chocolate chia cream pot. Anything with chocolate in it immediately feels indulgent but is much better for you than gorging on a Galaxy bar!
A yummy treat that has so many easy variations – find out which one’s your favourite!